Saturday, November 9, 2013

Paella Class and Mijas

Wednesday morning - we only had two more days in Marbella. We  were heading for Seville on Thursday and would be gone all day - then an early start Friday morning for Madrid. 

We spent a leisurely morning - breakfasting and relaxing on the balcony. I started gathering my things together - washing a few things - there would be no time to pack tomorrow. 

Then we headed for paella and Sangria lessons in the restaurant. All of us were going - our group and Charlene's. There were several other people there - including that good sport from the Flamenco night. 


These two ladies taught us to make the paella - a rice dish with vegetables and seafood or meat or both. The gal on the right was very funny. She told us that her family has paella at least once a week. She said they just throw in any leftovers. She has worked at the Marriott Resort for 10 years - she just recently transferred from working in the children's club. She told me that working at the Marriott was considered a very good job - worth the 45 minute drive to work every day.




Now we are getting ready for the Sangria - a wine punch made with inexpensive red wine - although white wine can be used.  


They told us the secret ingredient for Sangria is this Licor 43. I found some at the airport and brought it home with me.


Line the bottom of a one liter pitcher with ice cubes - then add the diced fruit - apples, oranges, peaches. Add 300 ml of the red wine,  10 ml each of Triple Sec and brandy,  20 ml of apple or peach schnapps, and 30 ml of the secret ingredient. (1 ounce = 30 ml.) Finally add Fanta orange or Fanta lemon. Stir. Serves 4. It was delicious! Even better than the Sangria that they serve at the Marriott!

When they asked for volunteers to make a batch of Sangria, I jumped up! I had learned my lesson at Flamenco night. So now I have first hand experience making Sangria.

We ate the paella that the two girls made and drank the Sangria. Both were excellent! I had tried someone's paella the first night at dinner and didn't like it. But this was quite good.

Tom, Beth, Joan, and Sarah - my empty seat - I was busy talking to the two girls.

Sarah, Julie, Tom, and Beth's head.


We headed back to the apartment to get ready to head to Mijas.


Julie drove along the coast and then headed up the mountain to Mijas - one of the Andalusian white villages.

View of Mijas from the parking garage.

Joan looking out from the parking garage.

We'll walk over to this shrine later.

Giddy up!

Joan is checking out the horse and carriage before we jump on for a tour of Mijas.

Mijas is an ancient village - the Phoenicians and Romans traded here. A white chapel is located up on this hill - just barely visible in the center of the photo.

I love all the little balconies.

That is the Mediterrean Sea in the background - not clear enough to see Africa.

I love the street light, the balcony, the arches.

What a colorful idea! Flower pots on the walls!

What about these signs made out of tiles?

The tour was along the main road in Mijas - past the white buildings with colorful flowers and tiles. Afterwards we stopped for ice cream. That shop keeper was quite rude - wouldn't let us sit down because we only had ice cream. I could understand if the place had been packed but it wasn't. 

So we kept walking and then browsed through the stores. We stopped at one gift shop. The people here were very friendly. They had been drinking small cups of coffee - I started talking to them in English while they were talking to me in Spanish. I wanted to know what kind of coffee they were drinking. Turns out it was instant coffee! From the strong smell I thought it was brewed.

I bought a couple of aprons with bulls or something Spanish on them - I figured my kids or myself could wear one for a Sangria party. I bought a couple of wallets, some fans, more magnets, and postcards. Beth bought a few things as well. The shop keepers were so happy to have so much business that they ran out after us to give us a couple of fans. 

Beth, MEM, and Julie - we all went to BC School of Nursing together - still friends after all these years!

Love those palm trees!




We walked over toward the shrine of la Virgin de la Pena.



Above and below, views to the Mediterranean Sea outside the chapel.




In the1580s a dove led two shepherd boys to this cave. The Virgin Mary appeared to them - a statue of the Virgin hidden for 5 centuries was then found inside the cave. The monks had a shrine carved out of the rock. 



It is very ornate inside the shrine as you can see above. On the right hand side there are rosary beads hanging in thanks for prayers being answered. I lit more candles here.


I think these very elaborate trappings are used in parades on holy days or during religious festivals.


I bought roasted nuts from this fellow after I bought rosary beads in the shrine.

Good-bye Mijas! Wish we had more time there.

We headed back to the Marriott. Charlene stopped by - she and Debbie had driven Ralph to the train station in Malaga - he was heading to Madrid to fly back to West Virginia.

We were going to Seville in the morning. So I finished my laundry and packed up my suitcase. Now I wouldn't be rushing Friday morning to pack and get to the train. 


No comments:

Post a Comment