Friday, November 15, 2013

Madrid

We packed up our bags Friday morning and headed back to the Malaga railway station, but this time it was Joan who dropped off me, Beth, and Julie. Joan was going to fly to Madrid while the rest of us took the train - she would drop off the rental car at the airport.

This time we were early enough to stop at Dunkin Donuts. I think this was the first coffee that I had in Spain - and it was Dunkins! And I splurged on a Boston Creme donut as well!!

Charlene's group met us at Dunkins. We had some time to spare so we headed for the loo and stopped at a jewelry shop on the way back. I bought myself two necklaces as souvenirs of the trip. 

We headed out for the train. We had the leftover crackers, cheese, sandwiches that Joan had packed up for us.  We were traveling like locals.

We passed the same olive orchards and more. I was fascinated by them. Someone had said that Italy uses Spanish olives in its olive oil. I wondered when they are harvested, how are they gathered, are they sold to a large company or do farmers sell olives or olive oil locally? So many questions. Julie told me to ask her brother-in-law Angel when we had dinner with him that night.

I noticed a teenage girl and a younger boy across the aisle. They had seats facing each other. They were busy on their cell phones - maybe playing games, listening to music - just like kids anywhere. They had brought sandwiches. After finishing them, they stretched out - resting their legs on each other's seats. They were very nice looking kids - the girl was very pretty. They were comfortable with each other - I presumed they were brother and sister. As we were pulling into Madrid, the girl made a phone call. I don't know why but I was very touched when she said "Hola, Papa" in a happy voice - like she was looking forward to seeing her father. They both were smiling as they gathered their knapsacks and were leaving the train.

We took more taxis to the hotel. Julie had made the reservations in her name - now we were sorting out the rooms. Tom and Sarah got the room with the king size bed. Charlene and Debbie were bunking together in a twin room. Julie and Joan were sharing. Our room - mine and Beth's - wasn't ready. So we waited in the lounge. The others gradually came down. We all had a drink or a glass of wine. There were some appetizers. Finally our room was ready. We checked it out and then headed back downstairs. Most of us were going to try the Hop On Hop Off bus tour of Madrid. Julie was waiting for Joan who was due to arrive any time. 

We all walked up to the nearby plaza where there was a bus stop. Beth and I figured out from the map that we wanted the bus that went around the center of Madrid. But the first bus that came by was one that went as far as the soccer stadium. Everyone jumped on so we did too. We tried to buy a 48 hour ticket but the female conductor was very rude - said there were no 48 hour tickets. So we had to buy a 24 hour ticket. We got seats upstairs in the open top and settled in for the complete loop. Part way around, the others got off to go shopping.


I guess you never are far from home these days!

I love these colorful street signs!


I thought this was a museum but it is a shop, restaurant. Would have loved to have seen the inside. 

I love architecture or actually the details on buildings. What would the details be called?

I don't speak Spanish but this is something about Saint Isador, patron saint of farmers and Madrid.

I was surprised at the police and military presence in Seville and Madrid.

Just liked the details.

I think this is the Prado.



More modern looking street sign.

Love the arches, tiles, grillwork!

The blinds to block the midday sun - and look at the detail on the metal grill.

This was the plaza near our hotel which was 2 blocks away.



I love the yellow and the simple details.

When we had completed a full tour on the bus, we got off near the hotel and looked in a couple of shops. Then we decided to relax in an outdoor cafe. We were sitting there having a drink when the others walked by on the way to the hotel. And then Julie's brother-in-law passed us. It was great to see him! He is such a nice man. He had picked Joan up at the airport and dropped her at the hotel. Now he was walking back to his car. We were meeting him and Polly later that night for dinner.

There was something about sitting outside in a foreign city and meeting people that you know! I can't explain it - maybe I didn't feel so much like a tourist - I don't know. But I felt good about it!

We walked back to the hotel and got ready for dinner. More taxis to drop us off at the restaurant. Julie's sister Polly, Angel, and their friends Leon and Elena were having a glass of wine at the bar when we arrived. Of course, I've known Polly since Julie and I were at Boston College. But I haven't really seen her since she married - she has lived in Spain since that time. I had met Angel when he and Polly came out here to Cape Cod a couple of years ago - Leon and Elena were with them. This past summer they were all here again on Cape Cod, and Beth and I met them at the O'Connell's cottage in Wareham. Estabon was also there - so were Elena and Leon's daughter and son-in-law. So it was great to see them here in Madrid.

We went upstairs where a long table was set up for us. 
Estabon was going to join us later. The white and red wine started flowing. Beth and I ordered a pitcher of Sangria - it was delicious. Polly ordered plates of different appetizers/tapas. Everything was delicious - except one dish made with anchovies. There was more wine and another pitcher of Sangria. 

Estabon arrived and sat down at my end. Tom was beside me and opposite Angel and Leon. They were having a conversation about business, comparing the United States with Spain. I asked Angel about olives and learned that Angel had one olive tree and Leon had three. Leon also grows quince and makes jelly out of it. 

It was a fun night - everyone talking and laughing. Charlene's group was heading home tomorrow. The rest of us were leaving Sunday. 

All of a sudden Charlene's group decided it was time to go. I downed the last of the Sangria before we headed out to grab a couple of taxis and to say goodbye. I especially wanted to say goodbye to Tom - he was someone else who had a lot of questions for everyone he met - I had enjoyed his company and his questions!!


There is something about being with local people that really makes a trip come alive. You are more than a stranger in a foreign city. You make a real connection with the place. You learn how the locals live - what life is really like for them. That is how I felt when we met Patrick in London and when we met Julie's family and friends in Madrid.

It was a great night - just too short!!










No comments:

Post a Comment