Tuesday, August 1, 2017

Another adventure

And so it begins. After months - which seem like years, we are on our way.

My son Dan has been to every American state except Alaska. I was fortunate to travel to the Northwest states with him a couple of years ago.  Now Alaska was the only remaining destination in his quest to see all 50 American states. 

Of course who wants his mother tagging along on a quest? But Dan agreed to let me and my daughter Mairead tag along with him and his fiancee Amanda on this trip to Alaska. Did he and Amanda plan to go or did Dan let Amanda tag along as well? I just won't ask - don't want to get into dangerous waters before getting off the ground!

Bit by bit the trip came into being. Jet Blue to Seattle and later home to Boston - Alaska Air to and from Anchorage. Dan rented a chalet in Girdwood which is south of Anhorage. I rented a motel near Denali - Denali was Mt. McKinley my whole life, and I have a hard time changing now - so forgive the interchanging of Mt. Mckinley and Denali. I found a house in the mountains of Fairbanks and rented that. We have a loose game plan to follow - certain activities booked on certain days but plenty of time to take in the scenery and poke around the towns.

Mairead and I stayed at the Super 8 Motel in Watertown last night - I booked in about 7ish. Dan drove me up from the Cape. We passed Mairead in Watertown Square, but we had no room because my bags were in the back seat so we snuck by her. I did text her from the motel that Dan could pick her up and bring her and her bags to the motel before he headed home - but Mairead is Mairead, and she texted back that she wouldn't be ready until 9 ish. It isn't that far to walk from Perkins School for the Blind to the motel.

These cheap motels are good for a quick overnight - you get a bed, shower, wifi, TV - what else did I need for less than 12 hours? Our room was on the 2nd floor with no elevator - that was a no go. My check in bag was way to heavy to carry up and down a flight of stairs. I alway pack too much and never have time to go back and take out half of the things like travel gurus recommend.  So I have sneakers for fishing, sneakers for walking, winter shoes for a glacier, and sandals. I have rain jackets, fleeces, capris if it is warm, slacks if it is cold, polo shirts along with a long sleeve shirt. That would not be all that heavy, but the jar of reduced fat extra crunchy Skippy Peanut Butter along with the Ken's Lite Raspberry Vinagriette and the box of low fat Graham Crackers added a few pounds. I didn't think that seemed so strange to take those items along, but Dan and Mairead both asked if I knew there was a Walmart in Anchorage!

Anyway, the motel clerk had a room on the main floor so there would be no stairs to drag my 45 lb bag up and down. Problem was it was a king size bed. I tried texting Mairead to see if that was a problem - sleeping with me - but she didn't respond. The clerk found a cheap room on the ground floor for her - so I took it. Mairead watches TV late and a little loud - I planned to go to bed early at 11 pm - so it actually worked out quite well.  I walked across the street to Domino's and bought a pepper, onion and pineapple pizza. I had my supper in the motel then took a quick shower so I could just get up and dressed at 4 am. Mairead arrived about 9:30 and promptly complained about my choice of toppings on the pizza. 

Mairead headed to her room about 10. I repacked and thought of every thing I could have removed if I was at home - including the Skippy Peanut Butter and Graham Crackers!! I watched MSNBC talking about Donald Trump's hand in Donald Jr's reports about the Russian meeting - that could be the subject of another blog!

I went to bed promptly at 11 and almost flew out of bed when the alarm went off at 3:45 am!! I shut it off and laid there for 15 minutes until it went off again. I rolled into the bathroom, got dressed, ate a leftover piece of pizza, gathered up the trash, and Watertown Taxi arrived. He took us and our bags down Storrow Drive to the airport. He was avoiding the Mass Pike because of the Mass Ave Bridge construction. It was well worth the $36 plus $8 tip - he lifted the bags in and out of the cab!

We tried to use the kiosk to check in, but it didn't accept our information and sent us to a real person!! And she could pronounce Mairead's name!! We got through Security quickly - I just got a little pat down - not like the usual search because my hip replacements set off the metal detectors.

Now we are about to board - it is 6:40 am - we take off at 7 am. Dan and Amanda are taking a later flight and meeting us at Days Inn Sea-Tac.

So we're off to Alaska via Seattle!!


No comments:

Post a Comment