Thursday, September 29, 2016

First day in London!

So we made it to Heathrow, and meanwhile Jody had walked over from her terminal to terminal 2 where we had landed. We grabbed a black cab to take us and our bags to the house we rented in Vauxhall. I got a little nervous about the cost when we got stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, but it only cost us each 30 euros and that included a tip. The Heathrow Express was 27 euros each for one way - and I really hadn't wanted to take the Tube - so not much difference. The driver was not very friendly though - I'm more used to talking with the cab drivers - being able to ask them what we are passing or where exactly we are. 

We knew from the internet that the house would be interesting. It is located close to Vauxhall bus and tube station - we drove by Vauxhall zoo - not sure that is the correct name - ducks, geese - horses - I want to take a closer look tomorrow when I am more alert.

An old key opens two locks on the front door which leads into a good size entry hall. 



Jody looking out from living room - next floor windows are for the lofts.



Black lock box has key to front door. Difficult to see the locks.

Front hallway and stairs to the first floor.

The stairs take us to the first floor - kitchen,  dining area, living room - back door leads to small deck.



Too bad I didn't take these pictures yesterday when the sun was shining - they might have come out brighter.







Pull out couch in living room - Jody and I brought bed clothes and pillows from low bed upstairs - I didn't open this couch - just slept on top of it.




The stairs to the second floor bring us to the door to the terrace on the right.  





The bathroom has a pull chain toilet!! It has an old fashioned shower in the bathtub. 






There is a bedroom with a double bed AND a stairway to a bed in a loft. 


This bed was too low for me so I took the bed clothes downstairs to the pullout couch.




Stairway to Patty's loft.

The other room on the second floor has a couch and a stairway to ANOTHER loft bed.





Jody's loft.


There is plenty of light in every room, and a nice cool breeze in the large window this afternoon.

After slapping some water on our faces to wake up, we walked through the nearby park to the Vauxhall tube statin to buy an Oyster card. A very nice gentleman explained how they worked and showed us how to get them. Then he showed us the bus map - #87 or #88 bus to Westminster. Since it was a nice sunny day, rather than take the Tube, we jumped on the double-decker and stayed downstairs because it looked like a short drive. I didn't calculate the traffic!


Jody buying her Oyster card.


Patty's turn

We finally made it to the Westminster stop - we were hungry and wanted something to eat. So we went to the Cafe at Westminster Abbey. Jody and I had pumpkin risotto, and Patty had potato salad. We struck up a conversation with a very interesting young man from Manchester - he has just finished school and is working as an intern at 10 Downing Street with the new British Prime Minister Theresa May. He said he was supposed to work with David Cameron, but he recently stepped down after the Brexit vote. 

We talked about British and American politics and each country's differences - he thinks Trump will win! We discussed Tony Blair's fall from grace due to the war in Iraq, George Bush, Bill Clinton, Margaret Thatcher, the Royal family. He made lunch a very enjoyable experience.

I know I was tired and jet lagged because I never asked this young man what his name was and never took a picture with him. But he had reddish hair, blue eyes, very light complexion and was very knowledgeable and engaging for his age. I am writing down what he looks like in case HE is PM in the future - I'll email him to remind him of his and our first trip to Westminster Cafe!


Parliament Square

After our delightful lunch, we walked to Parliament - stopped and asked a guard about the tour of Parliament. He told us to walk across the street to the ticket office in the building near Westminster Pier. Of course, I went through a revolving door into the wrong building - a government building - I hadn't noticed the two guards with machine guns outside. Patty joked with them, and we found the correct office. We walked back to Parliament to the opposite end from Big Ben and got into the queue. We passed a statue of Oliver Cromwell - Jody took a picture of me and Patty shaking our fists at him - he was the one back in the 1700s who was going to solve the Royalist and Papist problems in Ireland by conquering the country -  "To hell or Connaught." 

We moved up in the queue to the first guard. The man ahead of us tried to be funny, but the guard told him to leave - this was not the place for jokes. The fellow was taken aback as were we. The guard again told him to leave. The man turned, and the guard told him that he was kidding - it was a "got cha" moment indeed! The guard then joked and told us to keep an eye on the fellow!

The tour of Parliament was fascinating - I have read a lot of books about English history - although I can't keep all the kings straight since so many have the same name but different numbers after them! To be inside this building was amazing! To see the splendor and detail of the Queen's robing room and the House of Lords! And then to see the House of Commons so plain in comparison tells you the mind set of those days.

I could have spent hours looking at the frescos, paintings, statues - we didn't have time to see or look at all of them - from the paintings of the Tudors and Stuarts to the paintings and frescoes of important scenes in British history - to the paintings of Victoria and Albert to the statues of the prime ministers. Never mind the statues of the ancient kings and some of their wives. I could have spent hours there except that it was so humid that the guide must have thought I was having hot flashes! Sweat was pouring down my back, dripping into my eyes and down my cheeks. I must have been a very sorry sight!

We couldn't sit down in the House of Lords - God forbid - not on those fabulous benches! But when we got to the House of Commons and the old cracked leather benches, we all sat down for a break.

There were all kinds of tours - including several school groups - I was surprised at how many people were in the building. We had wanted to attend the Prime Minister's Question Time which is held every Wednesday, but unfortunately for us, it is conference time so Parliament is in recess. But we were able to see the chamber where it is held - we have seen it on TV so know it can be contentious. I had wanted to see the new PM's high heel shoes over which such a fuss is being made - the young intern with whom we sat at lunch did say that they were something!!

By the end of the tour my lower back and hips were crying. We all were tired and wanted a drink - so we walked over to St. Stephen's Tavern, but it was packed! No place to sit inside - standing only outside. And I needed to sit.

I suggested a ferry ride on the Thames - it was a nice sunny day - it was just the thing! We had out first drinks in London on the top deck - unfortunately, the day turned cool and cloudy - but that felt great to me!! Not so great for pictures - and I had forgotten Dan's digital camera at home - so I only have my iPhone. One of the crew points out some of the sights along the way.


We took a City Cruise one way to Tower pier.


Our first tour guide in the white shirt with the microphone.


View of the London eye as the ferry turned around to head down to Tower Bridge.


Tower of London




Tower Bridge was down as we approached it.

We had paid for a one way ticket to Tower pier, but we decided to stay on board and go back to Westminster pier. 




It was up as we headed back to Westminster.



Jody watching Tower Bridge on the way back to Westminster.


The Chard - it has offices, apartments, and restaurants.




The reason for our trip - The Globe Theatre - we see our first play her tomorrow night!! The thatched roof is the only one in London.





Our second and better narrator - both held an old champagne bucket for contributions as you disembark.


Leaving Westminster pier, we found the bus stop for #87 and #88 to Vauxhall Station and hopped on the first one that came by. We were looking for the Tesco that is suppose to be near our house but found another market close by and stocked up a few supplies for the night. 


We walked back home through the park with our groceries. I couldn't wait to get inside to sit down. I had some yogurt and a scone so I could take some Ibuprofen. We all just relaxed for a while. I took a shower - started this blog - started an email to Johnny Murphy's cousin but forgot to send it - I couldn't keep my eyes open another minute. 

Helen is my husband's first cousin - I first met her when I was living in Sneem and our children were small. I met her again in Watertown when their aunt Helen Murphy died. Helen has been very good about keeping in touch so I am hoping to met up with her today.

It is almost 8:30 - I've been up since 5:30 - time to have a scone, take some Ibuprofen and see what the day brings. It is cool and cloudy so far - I guess there is a chance of showers. Oh well - this is London after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment