Friday, August 15, 2014

Happy Trails Have Come To An End

The final day of our trip dawned. We were headed to Seattle Airport via Oregon. I was still feeling unsettled by Idaho City, but I put that on a back burner.

I ran for a quick breakfast in the hotel - buttermilk biscuits and gravy seemed to be the hot item. The biscuit was delicious, but I passed on the gravy. 

Dan passed on the hotel breakfast and headed for Jack in the Box for a waffle breakfast sandwich before we hit the Oregon Trail.





We had a lot of driving to do today - we were heading for the airport - no time for delays.


We didn't have to worry about traffic!









Love the hay bales!



We saw quite a few of these big boys. But apparently the logging industry has decreased in the Northwest due to regulated conservation measures.










Iced covered mountain in the distance. 



We pulled off to feed the car in Baker City.


There was a great clerk in the shop at this Chevron station - I talked to him for quite a while not realizing that Dan had already gone back to the car!

After talking to that clerk, I want to go back here and explore it!






All during this trip we saw a huge number of trains - there were  over 50 cars on some of them before I lost count.






Would this be a steel mesh fence that prevents rocks from rolling onto the highway?


Can you see the fences on the top of the ledge? As we drove along a lot of the highways in all the states we hit, wherever there were trees or construction, I could see loose rocks and boulders, downed trees - just waiting to tumble onto the highway.  I was fascinated by this - it seemed so dangerous.



We stopped in Pendleton, Oregon for lunch - very interesting town.   The picture above is blurry but typical of the shops we saw. 

We were hungry so were looking for a place for lunch. A couple of places were closed, but we were directed to the Rainbow Cafe - another interesting place. It's difficult to see below, but that is a buffalo head over the booth where Dan is sitting.





Definitely the best vegetable soup that I ever had!! And obviously homemade!!


Some of the sights in Pendleton, Oregon.







Back on the road again. There was a blowing dust warning for 40 miles after we left Pendleton.

We saw a lot of "long loads."


We crossed the Columbia River for the last time about 1:40 PM.


Power lines along the Columbia River.



We made it to Washington's wine country. I know I had enjoyed a very nice Washington Riesling in Seattle.



Our route 82 seemed to follow along the Yakima River which is  a tributary of the Columbia River. This Washington valley provides vineyards, apples, cherries, and surprisingly a majority of this country's hops, an ingredient in beer! 


We passed by Prosser which is known as the birthplace of Washington's wine industry. 


Vineyards.




Lots of ranches in the Northwest.


More vineyards.


Massive greenhouses for Washington grapes!

A look into the greenhouse.

Cascade Mountains - we could see Mt Rainier for what seems like hundreds of miles.



More hay bales!!



One of many RV dealerships throughout the Northwest.


Loved all the windmills!

This is one of hundreds of irrigation machines throughout the Northwest.


Windmills on the left. This kind of tree is everywhere! They must provide shelter for houses on these exposed plains.



Mt. Rainier is in the Cascade Mountain range where all the wild fires are burning. After traveling through parts of the Northwest and many forests, I can certainly understand how a fire an take off!


Increase in traffic as we get closer to Seattle.

I think I said it before that we saw lots of bikers and RVs everywhere we went.


Moving mountains.





Speed Limit is 70 mph.


So we ended our trip where we started it - at the SeaTac airport. We had dinner before boarding our red eye flight. I had started with halibut at Pike's Market Place in Seattle. I ended with halibut at SeaTac Airport. Both were delicious just like the trip.

I was surprised by how much I loved this area of the country. The scenery was fabulous - mountains, plains, mighty rivers, dried up creeks, farms, ranches, small towns, small big cities. I spoke to such friendly, polite people - mostly shop clerks, waitresses, and hotel employees. I loved the history and wished I had done more research before arriving. I'd go back in a flash!

Most of all, I am thankful that Dan invited me along and thankful for the time we had together.

No comments:

Post a Comment